This is not a goodbye

Where one door closes another one opens. After a lot of pondering and consideration I have come to the conclusion that it is time for me to step down from the paid Project Manager role of Mastodon, in order to be able to pour my heart and soul into volunteering again instead. Now, this may sound like a crazy idea, and it probably is. But it is with a re-energized soul, not a heavy heart, that I tell you this. There are things I want to do for Mastodon which would not fit into my previous job description, so I just put it aside.
I feel like the project will be better for it, and Gargron has been able to ease himself into a good management role of the project. Yes, there may still be some communication things that can be worked on, but I don’t think I need to be paid by Gargron directly for that to happen.

So, volunteering? Instead of working, but why? Well, there’s a few things involved in this. As some people have pointed out, having CFS and being in a project management role may not be the best fit. It was fine while I was on a high, because I could ride that wave, but it’s not sustainable for me to continue trying to ride a high, just to be able to work for money. I have been since January working on figuring out what my alternative to a normal 9-5 job was, and I thought Mastodon was it, it probably could have been, if I didn’t want to do anything else, but I do want to go back to school, and I do want to stream.

“Hey, I support you on Patreon for your work at Mastodon, now what?” Most of you already supported me before I got hired, but nonetheless, let me tell you my thoughts on what I’ll do in a volunteer capacity instead of project manager. I will be focused on the work I love, which is community, and helping people. That means being back on @support actively, and welcoming new users onboard. There are also some other, “get involved with Mastodon” things I’ve been wanting to work on, which kinda fell to the side because it wasn’t high priority before. I will not disappear from Mastodon the platform, nor the project. I’ll just refocus my energy, and do the things which makes me happy and energized, while also helping others. I still know a lot of who, where and how, and will work on connecting people with the right people. I want work on outreach, and work with the contributors. Okay, maybe this all is a bit over what I’ll be able to do, but this is what my heart cries out for.

So, while stepping down could be seen as a goodbye, it is not. It is simply that I’ll be focusing my energy elsewhere. Feel free to ask me any questions here, or on mastodon, and I’ll answer them to the best of my ability.

Updates from the Project Manager

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.