Single instance issues: following an entire instance?

Hi there. I’ve been running a private instance for about a week, just getting used to things. Overall I’m really liking Mastodon. I just have a couple questions:

1. What’s the best way to follow an entire instance? For example, I find a lot of the content on vis.social interesting. I went through and individually followed a bunch of people there, but it would be ideal to follow the entire instance. From what I’ve read, it appears the past solution is “followbots”, which I’m assuming are bots that crawl an instance and follow every member, then you follow the bot or something similar to that. The new solution appears to be relays. However, there doesn’t seem to be a list of relays. If I set up my own relay, would it be possible to point it at vis.social, or would they need to create their own relay that I can connect to?

2. Is there any way for a newbie to ask a question on Mastodon itself with any hope of someone else seeing it? Since no one follows me yet I had to come use the forums to ask these questions. If I’d signed up on mastodon.social I’d assume I could ask there and get pointed in the right direction. Is there a similar solution for newbies hosting their own instances?

Thanks!

For the second one, this forum looks like the best place we have - unless you have a bug in which case GitHub issues might be a better place to report to.