Reworking CW/NSFW image systems for better userflow and design

i dont know if i agree with this but since i don’t have the ability to implement the feature changes, i guess whoever implements it makes the final decision now. i only hope my words and suggestions have been heard.

Someone on Mastodon said my rhetoric was too quick to get hostile. But being we don’t talk about Mastodon using Mastodon anymore, let me explain my hostilities.
We already have functionality as we describe.
This is the simplest change I’ve ever asked of Mastodon.
Take the the event that activates flagging a post as NSFW and giving text posts the hidden #NSFW for federating purposes already and the feature that gives you the ability to put CW into one button, the eye graphic that we already have. Open eye unpressed, closed eye pressed.

This isn’t about the fact that NSFW/CW is dumb. This is about the fact that this is the third non-Mastodon software used to talk about Mastodon.
I want one thing. The inability to have a content warning and a shown by default image.

Collapsed a longer section, see moderator notes for details

This is your chance, @Gargron @maloki @noelle and everybody else who is now officially part of Mastodon.
Are you listening to us, using the third non-Mastodon software to talk about Mastodon (previously Discord and Github)
Are you listening to us? Are you listening to us? Or are you ignoring us, like Gargron always has, like the Gargron that told us “We could just leave” when we said Mastodon wasn’t safe for us to be on? Are you ignoring us, like Gargron has in the Discord time and time again? Or are you listening? [strong profanity removed by @chrismartin] Prove it. Prove it to us. Prove to us you want Mastodon to be more than Gargron’s toy he shares and it can be the implementation of OStatus for users, even the least technical of us.
If you’re not, we should “just leave”, as Gargron once told us to do. But we’re still begging you for the ability to delete accounts - something you once told us you wouldn’t do, and then said you will do, and haven’t months after the fact.

We’re waiting to for you to listen to us, when we talk on your terms. The ball is in your court now.

[moderation: Hid a section which is quite inflammatory, as our guidelines would call for it to be removed (“In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content”). However, only hid it, to show that we do listen, and we are not trying to “censor” the meaning of the post, but for peace of mind and calmer conversations we have hid it. Please read the FAQ. This is also to be considered an official warning and strike 1, for failing to “Always Be Civil”, and “provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation”]

I actually like the granularity right now.

I’ve definitely posted jokes that were fine with pictures that were ambiguously not safe for work so I tagged the pictures and gave my rational. @Gargron 's points about CWs not being rich text is pretty valid IMO. I’ve been burnt once or twice by CWing text and forgetting to tag the image NSFW but I think this has more to do with maybe improving the workflow assumptions rather than getting rid of the granularity all together.

Maybe the system should treat tagging the post with a CW as defaulting to both CW and NSFW on the attachments while still allowing for the full combination of possible toots as now? E.G. Specifically untagging NSFW unhides pictures from the default.

I see your concerns @MadDog , and I would like to get some facts straight. Most of it will be hidden by a summary, as it does not belong in this post for discussion, but contextually it belongs here, but I would prefer it if we do not continue that discussion here.

Yes, we hear you

I’ve been, as posted here, busy with my thesis the past few days. And have basically just woken up after the 16hrs of sleep I required after I wound down, after submitting the thesis on Wednesday afternoon, Central European Time. Me, personally, as PM, I only work a maximum of 20hrs / week, and I have CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), which means that I will not be immediately available on here all the time, but I will do my best to check in regularly. And if you check my post history you can probably see that I have for the past few days not been active (due to the thesis already mentioned), but before that I was quite active.

The following will be posted elsewhere as well, but just not right now, because I am still incredibly foggy.

The discourse is here so we (mainly Gargron and I, but also the community moderators (who’s job description may be extended but that’s a different discussion), can allow the community to discuss between each other ideas, and then dip in and see what is requested.
I have explicitly told Gargron to NOT attend the forum to any major extent, as we are going to sum up and show him what is important. There are a number of reasons for this, and one very important one is emotional capital, it costs a lot to read about, sometimes very strong, criticism of your baby. And it is his baby, no one should deny that, nor wish to take it away from him.
The discussion threads here, he does not need to be a part of. They are to provide a good collected space for the community to discuss features properly, before we implement them. Having Gargron reply to every single thing, would actually just hinder the full discussions by the community. The same actually goes for the moderators/admins and I as well. We do not need to be here to course correct the discussion.

As for the CW/NSFW, I have been listening, and I am incredibly happy to see proper discussion on this matter. And the mockups are helping a lot to visualize.

We have in the past had problems with wanting something to be implemented, but not having a good space to discuss it which isn’t github, but where we can still collect the details and make it into a good cohesive github issue which someone can then utilize to implement features in the way we (the greater community) would prefer them to be made.

This is a really good mock-up.

It does help a lot with increasing the UI for better UX