Reduce Home Timeline Clutter with Lists

I’ve just spent some time playing with the tools available, and I could find no way to get this to work. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

If I want to follow even just one bot account, my Home timeline becomes flooded and unusable.

Solution #1: Create list for bot accounts!

Problem: Must follow bot accounts to put them in a list, so they are going to appear in the home timeline.

Solution #2: Create list for human accounts, treat this list as home!

Problem: No mobile mastodon app supports this use case.

Solution #3: Use a filter to remove bots from context of home timeline!

Problem: Filter doesn’t filter accounts, only content of posts- impossible to filter around.
Problem: Filters for context “Home” also apply to lists.

[Desperate] Solution #4: Muting???

Problem: Muting hides posts in all contexts from accounts even if they are followed, even if they have been explicitly added to a list.

There’s seemingly just no way to do this- which is surprising because one would think the entire point of the column layout + lists should be to enable users to create multiple feeds.

However you decide to go about implementing this, there needs to be some way to have posts appear in a list but not appear in the home timeline.

Thanks for your time!

What mobile mastodon app are you using? The normal mobile website supports this usecase just fine, and is nearly identical to a mobile app when used with android phones that support Progressive Web Apps

What mobile mastodon app are you using?

I tried all of the mastodon-supporting android apps in F-Droid. Tusky, Fedilab, Andstatus, Twidere. Only Twidere can support creating/rearranging “columns”, but Twidere doesn’t support mastodon lists.

The normal mobile website supports this usecase just fine, and is nearly identical to a mobile app when used with android phones that support Progressive Web Apps

The desktop mastodon website supports “Solution #2” well enough. The mobile/PWA version of the mastodon website does not- it operates under a much more limited UI.

But that’s fine- because I think it would be wiser to improve filtering than to pursue my “Solution #2”.

Hmm, you’re right. It’s actually exactly the same UI, but pinning and unpinning columns has been disabled for some reason. I’m not exactly sure why that is but it might be worth revisiting.