Recover deleted username

A user deleted their own account by mistake, now they want the username back. We both understand that the data can’t be recovered, but to my surprise it looks like once a user has deleted their account not even an admin can recover the username.

It looks like this was by design (Can't Recreate a Deleted Account With Same Username · Issue #4614 · tootsuite/mastodon · GitHub) to stop others form reusing usernames and impersonating, but that doesn’t account for this scenario, or an admin needing to recover the username.

Anyone know a way around this, something directly in the database?

You can free up the username using the rails console but I highly recommend against it, it may lead to weird federation issues.

“weird federation issues” could you explain further? What would happen, or maybe “could” happen?

I understand that there is the potential, “X follows Y” but “Y doesn’t think so” or whatever, but that’s such a common thing with Mastodon, that I’ve learnt to expect it. I don’t know.

In this instance the old user had never been used, had never federated it was fine just to delete the user from the rails console and let them sign up again. They have been using the account for several months now without issue.