Recompiling the instance

We are new at Mastodon, learning fast how to edit the settings which are not at the regular instance’s Administration pages.
Although things are going fine for us, at this moment we are fully stuck regarding Recompile.
Since we know nothing regarding Linux, our instance was installed by our hosting provider.
We have not a single idea of how to Recompile.
Do we need any particular software for this?
Thanks a lot in advance.

1 Like

Since we know nothing regarding Linux, our instance was installed by our hosting provider.

You should ask your hosting provider this question then. We can’t teach you how to use linux from scratch.

Since this a forum to HELP, I think that is a very reasonable question.
Wish I know the answer.
It will be great to get a kind reply here, as most people at this forum use to do.

It all depends on how the hosting provider setup the environment, without this information it’s very hard to provide an answer that is helpful. Also @chikokevo didn’t specify which settings or files were changed which again is very important to provide an answer.

If the hosting provider setup the instance using the official install guide (Installation - Mastodon documentation), you can probably just run something like:

sudo su mastodon
cd ~/live
RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec rails assets:precompile
exit
sudo systemctl restart mastodon-{web,sidekiq,streaming}

Okqy, thanks! So it shouldnt matter how it.was installed?

This is a GREAT reply! I have to say so far this has been the most KIND reply I have found related to this topic.
However, for us newbies, how exactly do we RUN that?
Where do I type that?
If you can just let me know where do I type that, I will solve a lot of what I have been searching for months!

Thanks a lot in advance!