Rbenv: version `2.6.1' is not installed (set by /home/mastodon/live/.ruby-version)

Hi guys,

I am installing Mastodon on my Ubuntu 18.04 VPS, following the instructions at Installation - Mastodon documentation

Everything went fine until the ‘Installing the last dependencies ’ stage. When I execute ‘RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec rake mastodon:setup’, I see an error message that ‘rbenv: version `2.6.1’ is not installed (set by /home/mastodon/live/.ruby-version)’…

The entire process can be seen in this pastebin: Dave's Mastodon installation process I/O - 005038c9

The file .ruby-version does indeed contain 2.6.1 …

Could anyone give me some help/advice, please?

0 Likes

RUN:

RUBY_CONFIGURE_OPTS=--with-jemalloc rbenv install 2.6.1
rbenv global 2.6.1
1 Like

Yes Mastodon 2.8.0 need Ruby 2.6.1

as you already Installed mastodon so follow this

> sudo su - mastodon
> cd .rbenv
> rbenv install 2.6.1
> rbenv global 2.6.1
  • The recommended Ruby version has been bumped to 2.6.1. You can upgrade, or you can continue using the old version by overwriting the .ruby-version file with e.g. 2.6.0 or 2.5.3 which were recommended previously
0 Likes

Thank you for your replies, guys. In the end, I decided to restart the entire installation process… But I am getting an error message that rbenv is not installed.

I have encountered an error. In the ‘Installing Ruby’ section, when I execute ‘echo ‘eval “$(rbenv init -)”’ >> ~/.bashrc’ followed by ‘exec bash’,

I get the message ‘Command rbenv not found, but can be installed with: apt install rbenv’ …

Thus the how-to fails from that point on because it seems that the version cloned from git does not seem to be detected…

Can I install the Ubuntu apt package for 18.04 as root user, or is that going to create problems? (The mastodon user is not a sudoer, so I have to open a separate session for root…)

Any advice please? (and thank you in advance, if so)

0 Likes

Rerun installing Ruby Process You can skip adding User as you already added it.

0 Likes