Migrating Tumblr users to Mastodon

Do I have to create a different login for each group I join??

What do you mean by “groups”? Each server is a different provider, administered by a different person. You have to have a different login for each server, just like you have to have a different login for each email address you sign up for

Now, that is EXACTLY what I have been trying to get through to you people – I hate that expression, but anyway.

“What do you mean by groups?”

This platform works differently than Tumblr did. There it was one server and your feed was determined by who you followed. Made it very personal.

Here, your feed is determined by what server you are signed into, by what group you are in, as it were. Which means, that I am getting pictures of women in my feeds. I am a gay man, I don’t want that. Right now, it would appear that the only solution would be for me to start my own group/server. Which I may do – if I can figure out all the idiosyncrasies here.

For example, I still haven’t figured out what Pinefore wants in the “Instance” line, and I am finding very little information online.

Just don’t use public timelines / feeds if you don’t want to see that content.

Tumblr does not have everything in one feed so no harm in ignoring it.
The way to see only certain content in a feed is to have that feed only show keywords you specify.

I primarily use tumblr and mastodon as my two forms of social media and I genuinely don’t understand what you mean. Your feed in mastodon is determined by who you follow. It’s true that there’s an additional “local” feed of every post on your server, but it’s far from the default. You can think of it as very similar to a tag search on tumblr—a separate place you go when you want to look at that content.

For example, I still haven’t figured out what Pinefore wants in the “Instance” line, and I am finding very little information online.

Your instance is the server you go to to browse mastodon. Just because many websites use the same software doesn’t mean they’re run by the same people—it’s like email. When giving someone your email address, it’s a username and then a server. We call servers “instances” but otherwise the concept is exactly the same. Where do you go to log in to mastodon?