Issue: Mastodon does not allow remote follow on ipv6-enabled servers

Hello,
I was pointed here from the issue I created on github:

TL;DR my instance (although it’s pretty generic in what software it is running) seems unable to accept remote-follow requests I perform on other instances. The other instance just fails with a typical “oops” message. The problem disappears when I disable ipv6.

I’d like to understand what may be misconfigured on it, since it seems to be a problem which people encounter a lot, and which they solve by disabling ipv6, but which is in my opinion more of a way to avoid the problem instead of a way to really solve it.
Can someone provide me with any tests/pointers/snippets/reading materials which I may use to check my ipv6 configuration to understand what’s wrong?
Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Likes

Just sounds like broken v6 connectivity.

First things first, we will need the output of the following commands:

• ip -6 addr - this will show all IPv6 addresses currently on the server
  • ip -6 route - this will show what IPv6 related routes you have
  • ip -6 neigh - this will show if you are having neighbour discovery issues
  • ip6tables-save - this will show IPv6 related firewall rules if any

I would recommend putting all of these in a pastebin service like https://paste.ee/

1 Like

Thanks @staticsafe, I checked all the commands you provided and everything seemed in order. From what I realized the server configuration seemed fine so I started digging. Finally realized the problem was extremely silly - the AAAA DNS record of the instance lacked a “1” at the end of the ipv6 result. I immediately requested it to be fixed and now everything seems to work fine.
Thanks again for your help at determining the cause, I learned a lot of useful commands to deal with any ipv6 issues in the future. Cheers!

0 Likes

thanks @staticsafe! sorry for pingeonholing you as the communities “designated” ipv6 person, but I knew you’d come through :smiley:

0 Likes

closed #5

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes