Installing the "Mastodo" fork of Mastodon - like Mastodon.host instance

I’ve some questions about the install of @Gled’s Mastodo fork of Mastodon:

Platform = fresh Debian Buster server.

1.) as per the docs I’m following here: documentation/Production-guide.md at master · tootsuite/documentation · GitHub

and what appears to be the same, here: Installation - Mastodon documentation

Specifically, I’m thinking that I replace the following:

# Clone the mastodon git repository into ~/live
git clone https://github.com/tootsuite/mastodon.git live
# Change directory to ~/live
cd ~/live
# Checkout to the latest stable branch
git checkout $(git tag -l | grep -v 'rc[0-9]*$' | sort -V | tail -n 1)

with:

# Clone 
git clone https://github.com/gled-rs/mastodo.git live
# Change directory to ~/live
cd ~/live
# Checkout to the latest stable branch
git checkout $(git tag -l | grep -v 'rc[0-9]*$' | sort -V | tail -n 1)

Is that correct?

If not, how to apply the features of the Mastodo fork to closely resemble the functionality of Mastodon.Host instance?

There is no proper release tagging in this project, so the git checkout command as mentioned will give you a few years old version. You need to stay at master, so leave the checkout command away.

Apart from that it’s OK following the official Mastodon installation docs.

The missing release tagging and the fact that it’s more or less driven by a single guy makes be cautious with this fork for production use. On master you never know what state you are checking out, it would be better to clearly follow the official release versions with tags.

Although I really would love the configurable character limit and a proper full text search which gives you not only your toots. That’s extremely missing in the original product.

1 Like

Yes. It’s the exact same. However don’t checkout the 31128eb commit (currently the latest one), registrations are broken.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.