Index corruption?

i just upgraded from 3.1.5 up t 3.3.0 and noticed a message that says:

Your database collation is susceptible to index corruption.
(This warning does not indicate that index corruption has occured and can be ignored)
(To learn more, visit: Database index corruption - Mastodon documentation)

So visiting that page im suggested to run:
SELECT datcollate FROM pg_database WHERE datname = current_database(); and find out my collate which is:

es_MX.UTF-8

now, it tells me to run a sql query with the AMCHECK postgresql’s extension

however i get the error:
ERROR: could not open extension control file "/usr/share/postgresql/9.5/extension/amcheck.control": No such file or directory

looking it up i found that extension is from postgresql 10, im running ubuntu 16.04, this instance is almost 4 years old…

So… am i at risk of data corruption? what should i do? upgrade postgresql? upgrade everything?

Thanks for your attention and help.

Best regards!

Depending on how you installed your PostgreSQL you may have to use amcheck_next.

You may try to see if that is the case by running:
CREATE EXTENSION IF NOT EXISTS amcheck_next;

About the question: are you at risk of data corruption. Like it mentions on Database index corruption - Mastodon documentation - “if you ever ran with a version of glibc prior to 2.28 and did not immediately reindex your databases after updating to glibc 2.28 or newer.” If you didn’t run that glibc prior to 2.28, or were running C or POSIX for collation, then you should not be affected by the particular bug identified.

1 Like