Images not shown in feed

My mastodon instance won’t show images in my feed. Mastodon is just returning 404s. At first, public/system/ was owned by root, and when I changed the owner to mastdon, ran tootctl media refresh --force, and restarted mastodon, it started showing images for the items I was viewing then. But any new items after that do not show images properly, and nor does older items if I scroll farther back. media refresh does nothing, even if I run tootctl media refresh --force --verbose.

I’ve been trying some other things, like media remove, NUM_DAYS=0 RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec rake mastodon:media:remove_remote (which doesn’t seem to actually exist) and restarting Mastodon, and now at leas some of the images have popped up on the server, but Mastodon still returns a 404.

How did you change the owner to mastodon? Maybe some subdirectories are still owned by root and cannot be written to?

Try this to find out:

find public/system -type d \! -user mastodon -ls

Just chown mastodon:mastodon public/system

That didn’t find anything. Until I changed the owner, public/system was empty.

1 Like

Thank you… anything in the logs worth mentioning?

I see lines like https://mastodon.site.com/system/cache/media_attachments/files/105/436/942/367/321/085/small/2534c7bdb0e60d80.jpg?1608840064 (I changed the host address)

That file does not seem to exist on the server now, but I think it did yesterday.

Here’s the full logs:

1 Like

This seems to be fixed after upgrading. Not sure if it was the upgrade itself that fixed it, or one of the steps I did (like clearing the cache).

1 Like

Good to hear that - but in general I advise against the upgrade of something that is broken. Upgrade problems may stack on top of the original issues and make troubleshooting next to impossible.

Have fun with your instance!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.