How to configure Mastodon Instance to run on two hosting plans?

Hello, Forum!

So I have my mastodon instance installed on VPS plan. However, After all I will be needing ALOT of space to host all the media files that my users post on my instance. For that i am thinking on purchasing a shared hosting or a cloud hosting.

So is there a way to configure the mastodon instance to keep on running on VPS plan, and have all the media stored on shared/cloud plan? How does this configuration is done?

Hey! We recommend you use an external service, such as S3, Minio (self-hosted), or DigitalOcean Spaces for storing media files. You can find instructions on how to do that here: cybrespace-meta/s3.md at master · cybrespace/cybrespace-meta · GitHub (the instructions are for s3 specifically, which is more expensive then the other cloud providers but much more reliable. I would recommend shopping around a little bit. Any S3 compatible service should work)

Another guide to move your medias on S3 (Wasabi) : Moving Mastodon’s media files to Wasabi Object Storage

Note that I heavily dis-recommend wasabi specifically due to their unreliability and frequent downtime.

True.
Wasabi Status History

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.