How do you follow your interests?

Hi folks!

I’m new to Mastodon and am trying to figure out what’s the best way to follow my interests.

Over at Lists of hashtags into a single column, a pinned tag search for the advanced web interface was mentioned. It is not great – I prefer the wider column of the default interface – but I thought it would get the job done. Until I realized there is an undocumented limit of 4 hashtags in the query terms. I tracked that down and filed a bug at Pinned search with additional tags doesn't update properly · Issue #15194 · tootsuite/mastodon · GitHub .

So it seems that actually trying to follow tags is somewhat obscure in Mastodon (unlike, say, Friendica which lets you follow tags in essentially the same way that you’d follow users).

You might say “join an instance with similar interests” but my interests involve Linux and FLOSS, and there are literally dozens of instances with those kinds of interests and part of the point of the Fediverse, to me, is that the instance shouldn’t matter overly much.

So I feel like I’m missing something. What are the rest of you doing to follow your interests across the Fediverse?

Thanks!

Also, that pinned search feature isn’t supported in the mobile browser view - see Support pinned hashtag searches on mobile · Issue #15197 · tootsuite/mastodon · GitHub . It looks like Tusky supports it, but not the mobile PWA.

For me the best way to discover new people/ideas/interests was to have a look at a federated or local timeline. Personally I never used or needed hashtags for discovery; I use them only to find stuff I have seen or posted myself before.

Interesting, thanks. There are several nodes with interesting local timelines, but it’s hard to watch all of them. The federated timeline sometimes has serendipituous moments, but is too much of a firehose to necessarily rely on it. But I will try the “mastodon way” for a spell!

BTW, for other viewers, the FediTips mastodon account also suggested I might look into Friendica, which has this as more of a first-class operation. I’m doing that, but there are some other things about Friendica that don’t appeal so much, so I’m not sure if I’ll stick with it really.