Hosting cost of a 3k+ instance

How much your server cost right now at 3k User?

Instance Admins [Reply to Join]

Only on one box currently $30/month, media storage, CDN, email sending make $150-200 ish.

Which server provider you use?
and How many email you send in a month and how much only email cost you?

Could you break that down further? That’s a lot. I pay about $40 per month to Wasabi for media storage, with free Cloudflare in front of it, and $70 per month flat for Sparkpost. But I also have 270k registered (44k active) users, which is a lot more than what OP asked…

That’s a mix of current costs and estimates for the rest of the month, we only recently had a huge pickup in new users and traffic and we were using a lot of services that were fine (free) for ~150 users but not for 6000. Our costs should be lower going forward when traffic patterns are more steady.

Currently using S3 for storage (replicated in two regions), but will be moving to Wasabi soon when I have time.

The main issue/cost is the CDN, originally we used CloudFront which had been free but after the mass Tumblr migration we spent $100+ in less than a week. I then switched everything to Cloudflare, but after confirming on the phone with them, in their agreement they have a limitation on Non-HTML Caching:

The Service is offered primarily as a platform to cache and serve web pages and websites. Unless explicitly included as a part of a Paid Service purchased by you, you agree to use the Service solely for the purpose of serving web pages as viewed through a web browser or other application and the Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) protocol or other equivalent technology. Use of the Service for the storage or caching of video (unless purchased separately as a Paid Service) or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content, is prohibited.

So we still use Cloudflare for the main site, but instead StackPath for media which should work out about $100/month at current traffic levels (it’s also a lot quicker than Cloudflare for media).

Here an Video from my instance See cache status of cloudflare and can you tell me how much your email cost and which provider?
Dont tell this to clouflare :grin::sunglasses:

It is possible to not use Cloudflare and still minimize S3/Wasabi bandwidth costs by using nginx as a proxy with cache. That way you get the benefit of infinite storage while only paying for egress once per file.

This is what we do but still through Cloudflare.
We have a 50GB NVMe servers with 2 cores and 2GB RAM running Nginx.
Uses around 100mbps average and peaks at 800-900mbps during peak hours.

In the past two weeks, that would have cost us $500 in bandwidth from AWS.

FYI, CloudFlare doesn’t care about media files unless if you are pulling upwards of 50TB a month.
They only cache around 1/3 of our requests.

Did you try Page rules ? The amount of cache request are less than 1/3 but bandwidth usage are low and what happen if you use 50TB Plus

How do you connect wasabi with mastodon to use as storage ?
can we use another domain with wasabi and connect with mastodon?

All in the docs https://docs.joinmastodon.org/