Error: Too Many Redirects

I used the 1-Click Install (https://marketplace.digitalocean.com/apps/mastodon) on DigitalOcean to set up Mastodon. I accessed via SSH and followed the setup instructions. I successfully received the emails and can see NGINX setup page if I access the IP directly. However, if I access via domain, I see ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error and cannot access it. Domain is pointing to the droplet and the SSL certificates were successfully generated.

I did not edit any files or do anything beyond the prompts in the initial 1-Click install setup.

I also tried creating a new VPS, and followed the instructions on the Mastodon website to install from scratch and I still see the same error. How can I debug why this is occurring? Nginx logs do not show anything.

1 Like

What OS and browser are you seeing the too many redirects on?

Completley agree. Way too many steps – especially for new users. MUST be a way to simplify.

Too many redirects is just that, nginx is running a loop based on redirect rules. I recently faced this and it was because I had a default site configured which was answering requests it shouldn’t have. So my advice is to examine all enabled site configs ls /etc/nginx/sites-enabled and see if any are answering the same domain and making the browser bounce between them.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.