CSP-violating eval error in javascript of new instance

Hi everybody,
I’m setting up a new instance at introverts.social. I’m on ubuntu LTS 20.04 instead of the recommended 18.04 but other than that I’m following the instructions at Installing from source - Mastodon documentation exactly. I figured out how to increase my swap space so that compilation could finish and how to configure Mailgun SMTP. Emails are sending when I create an account, and I can login. So far so good.

But once I’m logged in, I get a blank page, with this error in the Firefox javascript console:

Uncaught EvalError: call to eval() blocked by CSP
Content Security Policy: The page’s settings blocked the loading of a resource at eval (“script-src”).

I found this ticket in the mastodon github issue tracker: Fresh Install by Documentation / CSP Error · Issue #10317 · tootsuite/mastodon · GitHub which seems to suggest that it’s a Firefox or firefox extension problem. However, I tried in Safari with no extensions and am getting about the same error:

[Error] Unrecognized Content-Security-Policy directive 'worker-src'.
[Error] EvalError: Refused to evaluate a string as JavaScript because 'unsafe-eval' is not an allowed source of script in the following Content Security Policy directive: "script-src 'self' https://introverts.social".

Found a stack overflow thread about this error (non-mastodon-specific): google chrome extension - Refused to evaluate a string as JavaScript because 'unsafe-eval' is not an allowed - Stack Overflow that suggests it can be a result of webpack running with a default setting of devtool: eval . However, that doesn’t seem to be the problem, because the devtool settings on my server are:

> ~/live/config$ grep 'devtool' * -R
webpack/development.js:  devtool: 'cheap-module-eval-source-map',
webpack/production.js:  devtool: 'source-map',

Re-running ~/live/bin/webpack also does not help.

Any ideas for other things I could check? Thank you.

Please double check your nginx settings for this one.

Thanks for answering, Saper!

I’m looking in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf and /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/mastodon and I’m not seeing any nginx settings related to webpack, node, or compilation or serving of javascript. Do I need to add a directive? I can’t find anything in the documentation at Core functionality that looks relevant.

Can you elaborate on what you meant? Should I be trying to add a setting that tells the browser to accept the eval() or should I be trying to get rid of the eval() ?
Thanks.

I think it is a bit more complicated. I have visited your site with firefox 79 without any extensions and I can see the CSP messages there in the console when visiting your site. I don’t have any idea how to fix it though.