Business Accounts

Hello,

I think a good idea is to introduce the Business accounts meaning special account for Companies.

One of many reasons people are still on facebook and twitter is because those platforms offer them the way to interact with businesses, so companies should start comes on Mastodon too.

Of course, businesses are looking for some exposure, it doesn’t mean we have to let them cover the entire network, but we have to offer them something if we want them here.

So I’m thinking to a special account for a company that could be able to add some extra info on their profile than a normal account. An address, business hours, a website, “a promotion” (maybe some photos with an “order” “shop” or “learn more” button).

Let’s start a discussion about this to see if it is for real a good idea or not and why it is and why not.

Happy tooting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes and also for Public figures

1 Like

No. They can put that stuff in the bio and profile metadata.

3 Likes

I am thinking about an badge only not other things you mentioned

1 Like

I like your thinking on this…my only comment is I firmly believe things like address/hours/phone/whatever should be data contained within the business’ website and, using the proper semantic microformats, Mastodon or any other frontend or app could pull that data directly off the website. I don’t like the commercial social networks’ trend of making their systems the system of record, so we have a chance here to do things differently (better). :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is an interesting idea, and my sense of it is that, honestly to specifically set these aside in any way that makes them distinct is at least somewhat problematic. I think that the thing is, not the, “business account” vs. “personal account” but rather some of the features of a “page” or a “group” that don’t show up for an “individual” account on Facebook.

I really don’t see why we need different types of accounts which might have different features. Or more that I feel that doing so ends up creating a fragmentation which would prove to be problematic in terms of maintenance, and creating a hierarchy of sorts.

A business which wants to have a “business account” can do so by setting up an instance for the business. Then they can run that instance as they see fit. I think this (other than the missing features) gives what would distinguish business from personal in a quite acceptable way.

1 Like

definitely agree that something has to be done about this. After all, only reason why I’m on Twitter still? aside from the fact that most of my friends won’t migrate? Is because of the number of businesses who’s newsflashes and updates I actually care about. Not to mention, kinda have to promote my own open source project, and Mastodon doesn’t seem to do it just yet because of the “very few brands” mentality up there for most servers, until I manage to create my own, that is. After all, this would be good; after all, posting stuff on social media allows people to read what they actually consider valuable insight and intel.

dell, for instance, are a model example of what business promotions should be like; they don’t advertise in everybody’s face on platforms like Twitter, instead posting articles to innovations they are leading. The stuff that would make any tech nerd like myself read. Microsoft? Same thing. Linux projects? Same thing.

What about - unlike Twitter - making the businesses to use personal accounts? There is a groups of users from at least two corporations on the fediverse and it gives it a more personal touch. That also avoids the problem of having them to sign the “group account” toots with their own initials. It would be good if they would monitor certain hashtag and display it on their profile.

I don’t see why businesses need a different account type. On Twitter they just use normal accounts and name them after their business, and that same type of thing works well on Mastodon as well, I think.

What I would like to see, is the ability to login as multiple accounts on the frontend, like how TweetDeck handles it. That way I can toot from my personal account if I want, and also from my business/organization’s account without having to logout and login to the other account.

2 Likes

Perhaps what you are thinking about something like ActivityStreams Actor types. ActivityStreams defines five types of Actor: Application, Group, Organization, Person, and Service, and ActivityPub allows them to be used. However, this is mostly just metadata and won’t be seen by actual users.

I don’t know if Mastodon allows plugins, but I bet it’s just a matter of time before somebody develops Fediverse oriented social media software for companies. Maybe there will even be a hosting service that can setup turnkey instances of Mastodon, Pixelfed, PeerTube, etc for companies.

The Fediverse is still in its early days and is fairly disorganized. Showing my age here, think of the World Wide Web before Google. There were millions of pages and you needed directories, like Yahoo and Alta Vista to find websites. The Fediverse now is like World Wide Web was back in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

As the web became more popular, different companies came up with different ways of creating websites. Some companies rolled their own websites, while others relied on CMS software like WordPress to help make their websites. I think WordPress is successful because of its theme and plugin ecosystems. Now that Fediverse plugins are starting to appear for WordPress, maybe some companies will start putting two and two together.